Monday 7 November 2011

Just Get ON With It! - Ep 1

Hi Dearest readers,

I will be starting a new multi-episode series for you guys, for you to improve your lives and attain whatever you want to achieve. This mini-series is adapted from a book I read recently - Just Get On With It by Ali Campbell, who is an NLP master and life coach. It focusses how to turn things around, put things in your control and move forward in life. I will be summarising and extracting important pieces of information here and there, so that you can have quick lessons while reading this article. Recommended read! - Mathew

Episode 1: Knowing that you have a choice

Many people are often stuck in the doldrums, feeling fed up with their current life - everyday has become a drag. Monotonous and mundane office work is the main source of stress in the workplace, and in recent years, it has become an inevitable that the average shirted employee has to handle.

To break free of this virtual cuffs, you have to embrace the fact that you have a choice.

To put things in perspective, many people are helplessly holding on to their jobs, and saying that "if I don't work here, I can't pay my bills, I can't support my family, I can't get my home loan, I can't support my car instalments, etc..." All these are the main woes that are invisibly cording people in the workforce to stay in their jobs, tolerate nonsensical superiors and endless deadlines.

If you are one of those that are nodding your heads, then you probably need a gentle kick in the ass, and to do that, you need an awakening. Now, write down on a piece of paper the following:

How else I could be doing to support myself other than what I'm doing now:

1. ________________________
2. ________________________
3. ________________________

It shouldn't take you very long, in fact, you can complete this exercise in under 5 minutes. As you can see, it wasn't that hard. You can be doing so many other jobs, (albeit it may pay lower), but hey, you do have a choice, and so you're not exactly "bound" to your job after all.

Now that you realise you do have choices, you have turned your current situation from an external problem to an internal decision. A clear answer to the question of which is simpler would be to ask yourself: is it easier to change something that you have control over, or something that you are totally helpless with.

Understanding and training your mind to think that you are in control, problems that are within your locus, is the first step to stepping out of the box that you've been trapped in for the past few years. Continue to train yourself and think about how many difficulties and situations can be controlled by you, and soon, you will be a freer person.

This, of course, is just the first step in enlightenment. I will share more in the next lesson, which will be focussed on how to stop bluffing yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment